This is another incredibly flavorful soup. If you’ve shied away from tortilla soup for fear of it being too spicy, I can tell you that this soup isn’t spicy, just very well spiced. Every sip is like fireworks for your mouth. It is sweet, tart, tangy, sour, meaty and savory, with a hint of heat that warms the belly, without overpowering the tongue.
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 8 cups chicken stock
- juice from 5 limes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chopped, seeded jalapeño
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- crispy tortilla strips
- Simmer chicken stock, Worcestershire and lime juices with jalapeño and cilantro for 45 minutes.
- Strain soup and return to stovetop.
- Add chicken, green onion, tomato, bell pepper, rice, corn and garlic, and simmer for 20 additional minutes.
- Serve immediately with toppings (cheese and crispy tortilla strips).
Makes 6 servings.
- calories: 382
- total fat: 15
- carbohydrates: 37
- protein: 26